[kdepim-users] Retrieving folder Contents

ianseeks ianseeks at btinternet.com
Sat May 28 14:24:40 BST 2016

On Saturday, 28 May 2016 12:02:08 BST Daniel Vrátil wrote:
> On Saturday, May 28, 2016 10:28:35 AM CEST ianseeks wrote:
> > HI
> >
> > Any reason why the above message should pop up in the message view pane
> > after i've already viewed at least one message in that folder and have not
> > changed folders?
> >
> > It only happens now and again so not really a show stopper, just wondering
> > why it should happen.
>
> The message basically means "KMail is fetching the email from Akonadi". In
> most cases it should be so fast that you don't see the message, but
> sometimes when Akonadi (or the database) is busy and cannot reply
> immediatelly KMail shows you this message. Especially if you use
> maildir/mbox (when the email needs to be loaded from harddisk) or online
> IMAP (when the email needs to be downloaded from the server), the message
> might appear for a bit longer.

I can understand it happening before i can view/see any emails in a folder but
not after the folder has already been populated with emails and i've read one
of the new ones.

> Sometimes something goes wrong and the message sticks forever. No idea why,
> but I haven't seen it in quite a while (it used to be much worse ;-)). If
> the email does not show after some time, restarting KMail/Kontact should do
> the trick, in worst case you can restart Akonadi (akonadictl restart).

It always recovers itself okay, just seems a strange thing to happen, almost
if 2 threads have gotten out of sync with each other.

Thanks for the reply