[kdepim-users] Kontact crashed, will not reopen -- Resolved (sort of)

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon Feb 29 19:45:03 GMT 2016

On Friday 26 February 2016 18:32:07 gczerw at ec.rr.com wrote:
> I accidentally resolved the problem, but I have no idea why my actions
> resolved it. I moved all of the {numbered} files in
> /.kde4/kmail2/autosave to another temporary directory, then attempted
> to start kontact, and it started!
>
> If someone can explain why this worked, I'd appreciate it!

Kontact/KMail frequently saves messages you are writing to the autosave
folder to prevent the loss of those messages if a crash occurs. On the
next start the autosaved messages are automatically opened so that you
can continue writing them.

It seems that in your case one of the autosaved messages was corrupt and
triggered another crash each time Kontact/KMail tried to open this
message.

It would be helpful if you could identify the autosaved file that causes
the crash and if you then filed a bug report at https://bugs.kde.org
with the "bad" file as attachment (provided it does not contain
sensitive information).