[kdepim-users] Usenet/GMane users and the (lack of) future of KNode

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Thu Feb 18 13:53:48 GMT 2016

On Thursday, 2016-02-11, 12:03:26, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Thursday February 11 2016 11:40:08 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > Porting KNode is not as easy as porting other applications because its Qt4
> > port, i.e. the current version, is making use of Qt3 compatibility classes
> > (Qt3Support module) which are no longer available in Qt5.
> >
> > So a port would probably require to first port away from the usage of that
> > compat module.
>
> I have never done such a thing, but I guess one could also port directly
> from Qt3 to Qt5.

While this is possible, it is also more difficult.
In this case also irrelevant, because there is a Qt4 port.

> Also, KNode doesn't have a huge code-base in terms of
> number of source files. Which of course doesn't say anything about
> complexity ...

There is a reason some of that code still uses Qt3Compat classes, because
there were quite some API and behavioral changes between Qt3 and Qt4.

> > I am pretty sure expiration does not depend on messages being shown.
>
> I am too, for KDE PIM4 at least, where there simply is no way that I know of
> to hide certain messages without deleting them...

Not in the UI, but Akonadi items can have a "hidden" attribute attached.
But the model used for listing messages might not use it yet.

> But in itself that's no guarantee that expiration would work on hidden
messages either!

I am pretty sure that expiration works on item time stamps, regardless of
whether even a client is currently connected, let alone having retrieve said
item, let alone showing them.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring