[kdepim-users] Usenet/GMane users and the (lack of) future of KNode

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 11:03:26 GMT 2016

On Thursday February 11 2016 11:40:08 Kevin Krammer wrote:

> Porting KNode is not as easy as porting other applications because its Qt4
> port, i.e. the current version, is making use of Qt3 compatibility classes
> (Qt3Support module) which are no longer available in Qt5.
>
> So a port would probably require to first port away from the usage of that
> compat module.

I have never done such a thing, but I guess one could also port directly from Qt3 to Qt5.
Also, KNode doesn't have a huge code-base in terms of number of source files. Which of course doesn't say anything about complexity ...

> I think most people found those to be very valuable when they were using
> Usenet (I know I did), and I always thought it would be nice to have them for
> email as well.

My reason for posting this on the user ML is that they might speak up ;)

> > Alternatively, how feasible would it be to implement a comparable filtering
> > feature in KMail?
>
> I have no idea, but I would really like that :)
> KMail is also actively maintained.
>
> I think at some point there was even an NNTP resource for Akonadi, which would
> have allowed to use any "message" UI (e.g. KMail) to present Newsgroup
> postings.

That would be fine too. I presume that's comparable to what other MUAs do that provide Usenet functionality (I used pine way back in the day, and Thunderbird in a more recent past).

> I am pretty sure expiration does not depend on messages being shown.

I am too, for KDE PIM4 at least, where there simply is no way that I know of to hide certain messages without deleting them...
But in itself that's no guarantee that expiration would work on hidden messages either!

Cheers,
René