[kdepim-users] Usenet/GMane users and the (lack of) future of KNode

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at kde.org
Thu Feb 11 12:18:38 GMT 2016

On Thursday, February 11, 2016 10:50:48 AM CET René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just learned that KNode is a fossil in suspended animation that won't make
> it to KF5.
>
> The impression one could get from the blog post I was pointed to when I
> reported a KNode crash the other day is that this decision was made by a
> single developer who felt he wasn't in a position to do the porting of
> unmaintained code that isn't his in the first place.

It certainly wasn't a single person who decided that. We agreed on dropping
KNode on one of the sprints, because neither of us felt like having the
resources to maintain and work on KNode.

> I can relate to that,
> but KDE (PIM) isn't a single person's effort (nor is it intended to serve
> the needs of only those who're developing it actively - I'd hope).

Indeed, but with limited resources we need to decide whether we serve
everyone's needs poorly or we focus on the majority of our users and deliver
the best experience there.

<snip>

> Alternatively, how feasible would it be to implement a comparable filtering
> feature in KMail? Before I started using KNode, I had set up most of my
> dedicated ML folders to expire (move-to-trash) all messages that had
> remained unread for 7 days. That still left me with 200-300 unread messages
> on the most active ML (FFMpeg-devel) but when combined with a viewing
> filter that works like the one in KNode you'd probably get a very
> comparable functionality. Provided that expiration still works on messages
> that are not being shown.

Implementing the expiration would be the task of an NNTP resource. I don't
know exactly what the feature in KNode you refer to was (I only used KNode
very very little), but I guess you would be able to leverage the indexing &
search functionality that Akonadi and KMail provide to get interesting views
on all the data.

Dan