[kdepim-users] How to disable mail indexing with Akonadi search

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Sun Feb 7 18:39:59 GMT 2016

Am Sonntag, 7. Februar 2016, 07:05:49 CET schrieb O. Sinclair:
> On 06/02/2016 20:35, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > Back in Baloo times it was easy to disable mail indexing. But with Akonadi
> > Search which as I understand is basically a renamed Baloo for mail stuff I
> > didn´t find a way yet. Can one disable it?
> >
> > I searched for an option in akonadi_indexing_agent settings, but didn´t
> > find one.
> >
> > I excluded the biggest folders yet it still crawls Akonadi to a halt with
> > at least 90-100% CPU load on mysqld for tenth of minutes or more up to
> > the point where something happens that doesn´t happen with Akonadi +
> > KDEPIM from master otherwise since all the performance improvements:
> > KMail looses connection to Akonadi and is unusable unless I restart it.
> >
> > Also currently the mail index would grow to big that BTRFS gets into
> > trouble with free space, up to kernel 4.3 even freezing up the whole
> > machine with a kworker thread searching for free space (known issue in
> > BTRFS, that may or may not be fixed in 4.4 or later).
> >
> > For now at least for the storage thing I did:
> >
> > touch ~/.local/share/akonadi/search_db
[…]
> As far as I understand it Baloo is the "search engine" and you can
> disable that. But Akonadi is the database "underneath" and you can not
> disable that.

akonadi-search is, as far as I understand a renamed Baloo for mail with
different storage directory. Baloo now is just for files, not for mail
anymore.

So ~/.local/share/akonadi/search_db contains Xapian stuff, *no* MySQL or other
relational database. Well unless you create it as a file as I did that is :).

--
Martin