[kdepim-users] How to disable mail indexing with Akonadi search

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Sat Feb 6 18:35:17 GMT 2016

Hello!

Back in Baloo times it was easy to disable mail indexing. But with Akonadi
Search which as I understand is basically a renamed Baloo for mail stuff I
didn´t find a way yet. Can one disable it?

I searched for an option in akonadi_indexing_agent settings, but didn´t find
one.

I excluded the biggest folders yet it still crawls Akonadi to a halt with at
least 90-100% CPU load on mysqld for tenth of minutes or more up to the point
where something happens that doesn´t happen with Akonadi + KDEPIM from master
otherwise since all the performance improvements: KMail looses connection to
Akonadi and is unusable unless I restart it.

Also currently the mail index would grow to big that BTRFS gets into trouble
with free space, up to kernel 4.3 even freezing up the whole machine with a
kworker thread searching for free space (known issue in BTRFS, that may or may
not be fixed in 4.4 or later).

For now at least for the storage thing I did:

touch ~/.local/share/akonadi/search_db

then akonadi indexing agent does not create a directory there and no space is
used up.

As you know my mail setup is a bit crazy, so I know the index is big, but
still after 5 GiB I keep wondering whether it needs to be that big, especially
as I excluded at least the folders with LKML mails.

For now until I have more free SSD space I just want to disable it.

I help myself with repeating

killall /home/kde/install/bin/akonadi_indexing_agent

until Akonadi gives up starting the indexing agent after each time I start
Akonadi by logging into a Plasma session or restarting it after a new compile
from master.

Also with indexing "disabled" like this Akonadi doesn´t auto complete anything
in to address field. Not even from address book which is quite annoying. Only
from recent addresses, but this is only mail addresses not the Name
<mail at address> form I prefer.

I am willing to look more closely at why indexing crawls down Akonadi to an
halt at some time, but not now.

So is there a way to just tell it not to indexing *any* mail? I think such an
option is still important and if its just for people with low free disk space.

So or so I get the impression since Baloo mail indexing has been renamed to
Akonadi search and put into Akonadi repo no one really looked into it anymore.
In KDE SC 4.14 times it really worked good. It still works fine on my KDE SC
4.14 based KDEPIM on the workstation at works. So I am a bit sad that it again
is broken for me.

Thanks,
--
Martin