kdepim-users Digest, Vol 157, Issue 2

Peter Humphrey peter at prh.myzen.co.uk
Fri Dec 16 10:17:11 GMT 2016

On Thursday 15 Dec 2016 20:54:26 Peter Wibberley wrote:

> To answer your question, yes, I have tried using the folder archive
> function.  However, with any folder that contains one of the duplicate
> messages, this is where I am getting the message, "Failed to archive the
> folder 'xxxxxxxxx'. Downloading a message in folder 'xxxxxxxxx' failed.".

Two thoughts:
1.	Try Folder > Remove Duplicate Messages, if you haven't already.
	I find that only works occasionally here.
2.	Make KMail and friends reindex all the messages as in your next
	paragraph.

> Before I try deleting the baloo folder, can I ask how this will work?  I
> was under the impression that baloo provides just the desktop search
> functionality.  If this is the case, it isn't clear to me how recreating
> the baloo index help kmail recreate the message lists for each kmail
> folder.  Is it not akonadi that maintains the kmail database?  Or is the
> implication that kmail uses baloo to maintain the message list for each
> kmail folder?

I don't have answers here; I just know that (re)moving the baloo directory
forces a rebuild of the database and sorts out the mess of duplicated
messages. It can't magically repair damaged ones though.

> You will appreciate that I am a little apprehensive about deleting any
> database file without being sure that it will (1) solve the problem and
> (2) can be recreated error-free.

So just move it somewhere while you test. And remember what I said about
other KPim components.

Good luck.

--
Regards