[kdepim-users] how do i...

salamandir at hybridelephant.com salamandir at hybridelephant.com
Thu Oct 1 04:47:25 BST 2015

how do i backup kmail/kontact, so that i can move to a new computer and
have all of my old mail?

the fact is, i've already done what i thought was the right thing, which
apparently it wasn't, and now i'm stuck.

i backed up my entire /home directory, including the hidden files and
directories. i have that backup on a 16GB flash drive, so that nothing
will happen to it.

i installed kubuntu on a blank machine, got all the updates, unpacked
the backup archive and overwrote everything and...

when i opened kontact, it was a blank slate: the default directories,
just one user, accounts not set up, old mail not there... 8/

so i tried to "import" the ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail directory, using the
KMail Import Wizard. again, no luck...

obviously i am doing something wrong... can anyone tell me the right way
to go about it?