[kdepim-users] Replace MySQL with MariaDB

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Mon May 4 07:14:51 BST 2015

Note: this is 100 percent not recommended by Kubuntu maintainers. But to
me KMail et al Akonadi depending software seems "snappier" after this.

So, first of all install aptitude as alternative to apt-get. Then:

"sudo aptitude update
when it is done then:
sudo aptitude purge mysql-server-core-5.6 mysql-client-core-5.6
aptitute will tell it has many dependencies, many packages will be
removed ... so it asks if i accept that solution - choose no (n)
then it will propose installing:

1) mariadb-client-core-10.0 [10.0.17-0ubuntu1 (vivid)]
2) mariadb-common [10.0.17-0ubuntu1 (vivid)]
3) mariadb-server-core-10.0 [10.0.17-0ubuntu1 (vivid)]

- if you accept this - mysql will be removed, mariadb (fork of mysql)
will be installed, and akonadi will start without any issues."

as I am on Utopic you have to put 5.5 and the install proposals include
lib-maria but it works perfect for me. YMMV though

Kind regards,
Sinclair