[kdepim-users] KTimeTracker idile dialog box

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 20 14:29:37 GMT 2015

On 20/03/2015 08:17, Nikolay Shaplov wrote:
> KTimeTacker is a tool that allows to track how much time you've
> spent working on certain task. So you have tasklist and a kind of
> stopwatch assigned to each task. In KTT it is called Timer (may be
> it is wrong name) Stopwatches can work in two modes: manual and
> automatic. In manual mode you have to press "play" button in order
> to start stopwatch. In automatic mode stopwatch is assigned to one
> or more desktops, and when there is an activity in one of these
> desktops, stopwatch start automatically.

Thanks.  I don't recall seeing this automatic mode when I used it, but
then it's a long time ago, and clearly KTimeTracker has moved on (no
pun intended).  Choosing good text for buttons is hard, so forgive the
following ruminations, as I try to get to grips with the problem.

> There is also a tool that is used to automatically stop stopwatch
> when there is no activity at the computer. This tool works both for
> manual and automatic stopwatch. This tool is so called "Idle
> dialog". When the computer were idle for some time, this idle
> dialog pops up. Stopwatches meanwhile continues counting time. This
> idile dialog asks, why there were no activity: - If user stopped
> working on the task, then program should stop stopwatch and set it
> to the time when idle were detected. (revert and stop)

OK, so basically, "Report time to last activity". So the clock has
stopped and the inactive time is ignored.  I see from your screenshot
that you can quote the time of last activity, so could you simply say
something like "Stopped at 17:33"? Or "Stop at last-active time?"?

> - It user just spend some time working on the task offline (i.e.
> writing something down on paper), then program should just continue
> time counting as nothing have happened, just hide idle dialog.
> (continue)

"Continue tracking" is fine I think (but the timer needs to continue
to update visibly, IMO).

Question:  Does it ask again, at any point?  If I worked offline, but
then went for lunch, forgetting to tell it so, would it know what to
do?  Not sure there is any sensible answer to that.  Too much
interruption to working would be a disincentive to use the program, I
guess.

> - If user have a break and now back to work, then program should
> set stopwatch value back to the time, when idleness were detected,
> but do not stop counting. (revert and continue)

I'd just say something like "Restart timer from 17:33?".

> Is this explanation is detailed enough? :-)

It helped me a lot, to understand your intentions.  I really don't
like the use of the word "revert" because I think it is open to
misinterpretation, but I do see your problem in expressing the ideas
in very few words.

I'm not sure whether my thoughts help you or not, but I hope they do.
 Feel free to criticise my thoughts and continue the discussion if you
feel we can get closer to a good resolution.

Anne