[kdepim-users] build akonadi-git, was :rant

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 13:37:15 GMT 2015

On 29/01/2015 13:43, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Thursday January 29 2015 11:43:48 O. Sinclair wrote:
>
>> I have compiled a few things before so I am wondering where I find the
>> mentioned code? Currently I am on Kubuntu 14.10 KDE 4.14.2 with Akonadi
>> 1.13.0-ubuntu2 according to package manager
>
> Oh, that makes things a lot simpler if you're on Ubuntu. Read up on how to create and use your own PPAs on launchpad and then get the sources from my PPA to which I'll link below. Using launchpad has the advantage that you only have to bother with the packaging, not with the actual building. If you don't want to bother with things like public keys however, you can follow these rough guidelines, many of which are also required for the PPA approach:
>
> %> sudo apt-get install dpkg-dev devscripts
> %> sudo apt-get build-dep akonadi
>
> Next, go to https://launchpad.net/~rjvbertin/+archive/ubuntu/kdepim/+packages , click on the akonadi package, and get the akonadi*.orig.tar.xz and akonadi*.debian.tar.gz files. Unpack the first in a new directory, chdir into the akonadi directory, and unpack the second (.debian.tar.gz) archive. Open debian/changelog and replace "trusty" with "utopic" on the 1st line. Or better, do
> %> dch -v 1.13.0-ubuntu2-ppa1
> and ensure the 1st line of the new changelog entry says Utopic where the previous entry says Trusty. Next, open debian/control and remove clang-3.5 from the build dependencies, then edit debian/rules to remove the 4 lines starting with "export CC=" (or else you'll have to install clang 3.5). Then, simply enter
>
> %> dpkg-buildpackage -d -us -uc -b [-jN]
>
> (where N is the number of CPU cores in your system) and wait for the build to finish. That will give you a number of .deb packages in the parent directory.
> Change to that parent directory (the new directory you created above), and do
> %> akonadictl stop
> %> sudo dpkg -i *.deb
> %> akonadictl start
>
> That's all there should be to it. If I forgot something it'll probably become apparent and sufficiently self-explanatory to figure it out, otherwise we're here to help.
>
> NB: this does suppose that Trusty (14.04) and Utopic (14.10) have the same akonadi package structure, but I think that's the case. Using the dch approach means that a future official akonadi update should replace the packages you just installed.
>
> If you chose to use the PPA approach, you'll take almost the same steps, but you'll have to use dch. You skip the dkpg-buildpackage as well as the dpkg -i step, of course; you'll get the updated packages through the usual updating mechanism after you added your PPA to your software sources (and launchpad finished building successfully).

Thanks for that detailed reply! I went the pgk-build way, have a feeling
I got a few errors but so far things seem to work. Two comments:
1. I did not get the dch- thing so did not bother - can something like
it be done after build?
2. before you do the packagebuild you need to move up from the debian
directory to where the akonadifiles were extracted

Right now I have a powerproblem but I do suspect that my overall laptop
operating temp has gone down notably! Will report back