[kdepim-users] font rendering errors running kmail on gnome

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Feb 22 07:32:33 GMT 2015

On Sunday, February 22, 2015 01:56:17 AM O. Sinclair wrote:
> On 22/02/2015 01:44, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Monday, February 16, 2015 06:07:33 AM Gene Heskett wrote:
> >
> > Ping!
> >
> >> Greetings;
> >>
> >> Your basic wheezy install on an AMD phenom with 8 Gb of memory.
> >> Nouveau driver for generic nvidia card, an EVGA GeForce 8400 GS.
> >>
> >> I am at a loss as to where to find a doorstep to lay this problem
> >> on, but in kmail-1.13.7's message window, a message containing a
> >> number string followed by(no spaces) a numerical abbreviation for
> >> the scaling of that number, such as 320GB, is actually rendered as
> >> 3## where the 2 char scaler, the 'GB' is actually rendered on top
> >> of the '20'.  Its font independent, you can change the font family,
> >> and its size, bold or italic attributes without effecting the
> >> trashed display.
> >>
> >> Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to isolate this?  I do not
> >> believe I have noticed it anyplace but the message window, and
> >> possibly in the printout if I print the message suffering from
> >> this.
> >>
> >> If I mouse highlight it, and middle button paste it to a terminal
> >> screen, there it renders correctly.  But when wiping the mouse
> >> across the string, the highlighting doesn't always follow the mouse
> >> smoothly, as if there is an invisible character or 2 there.
> >>
> >> Running low on hair from scratching my head on this one. :)
> >>
> >> Suggestions welcome.
> >
> > I can't even hear the crickets but I am sure there are some
> > hereabouts.
> >
> > If its any help, I can hit a v to see the raw message where such a
> > numberdotletternumber is reproduced correctly and is then perfectly
> > readable.
>
> The only thing I can think of is to check and experiment with your font
> settings in KMail. As I understand you this happens only in KMail and
> not in other applications?

That I ahve done quite a few times, buit its difficult to tell quickly as
"applying" also resets the displayed message to the first one of the day
in the default, threaded by date view mode.  So everytime you try a new
font, you have to cycle down thru the messages to find that one again.  It
only seems to affect the message window, I think.  ISTR some had a subject
line with a similar character setuo, and it was not subjected to this
miss-rendering of the fonts.  The 3.3.7p1 was reproduced normally.

> I get the odd scenario when almost everything goes unreadable but I
> kind of expect it as I experiment with graphics drivers, mesa and so
> on frequently.

A hazard of what you do I imagine.  I've had the font renderer go away,
and needed a reboot to restore, but this doesn't have the waddle and quack
of that duck to it at all.

Thanks O. Sinclair.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)