[kdepim-users] font rendering errors running kmail on gnome

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 06:56:17 GMT 2015

On 22/02/2015 01:44, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday, February 16, 2015 06:07:33 AM Gene Heskett wrote:
>
> Ping!
>
>> Greetings;
>>
>> Your basic wheezy install on an AMD phenom with 8 Gb of memory.
>> Nouveau driver for generic nvidia card, an EVGA GeForce 8400 GS.
>>
>> I am at a loss as to where to find a doorstep to lay this problem on,
>> but in kmail-1.13.7's message window, a message containing a number
>> string followed by(no spaces) a numerical abbreviation for the scaling
>> of that number, such as 320GB, is actually rendered as 3## where the 2
>> char scaler, the 'GB' is actually rendered on top of the '20'.  Its
>> font independent, you can change the font family, and its size, bold
>> or italic attributes without effecting the trashed display.
>>
>> Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to isolate this?  I do not
>> believe I have noticed it anyplace but the message window, and
>> possibly in the printout if I print the message suffering from
>> this.
>>
>> If I mouse highlight it, and middle button paste it to a terminal
>> screen, there it renders correctly.  But when wiping the mouse across
>> the string, the highlighting doesn't always follow the mouse smoothly,
>> as if there is an invisible character or 2 there.
>>
>> Running low on hair from scratching my head on this one. :)
>>
>> Suggestions welcome.
>
> I can't even hear the crickets but I am sure there are some hereabouts.
>
> If its any help, I can hit a v to see the raw message where such a
> numberdotletternumber is reproduced correctly and is then perfectly
> readable.

The only thing I can think of is to check and experiment with your font
settings in KMail. As I understand you this happens only in KMail and
not in other applications?

I get the odd scenario when almost everything goes unreadable but I kind
of expect it as I experiment with graphics drivers, mesa and so on
frequently.