[kdepim-users] hide message list but not the message viewer

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 11 11:15:28 GMT 2015

On 10/02/2015 21:33, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Tuesday February 10 2015 22:13:46 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
>

>> True. But contrary to fixing bugs or implementing new features documentation
>> can also be written by people who don't speak C++ fluently. In fact, most
>> people who speak C++ fluently write awful documentation. Unfortunately, KDE
>
> That depends a bit on how fluently one has to be able to *read* C++ in order to know what to document ;)
>
>> seems to attract way to few people who write good documentation. Maybe
>> somebody on this list wants to change this.
>
> There's another issue. Document writing is an art, and it requires time. I try to force myself to do a bare minimum of it for the software I maintain, but I rarely have time to sit down and document someone else's code. Especially if I've already had to spend time to figure out how something works instead of simply using it...
>
> Now, if there's remuneration to be had for such activities ... ... ... ;)

It was precisely to address this situation that Userbase was born in
2007.  https://userbase.kde.org/Welcome_to_KDE_UserBase

The idea is that you don't need technical skills.  Yes, there is some
syntax to learn, but there are plenty of examples around.  It's
MediaWiki, so pretty common.  I tried for years to convince people that
many people, adding a little to whatever section they had had to
struggle with, would give an invaluable resource.  There's no need for
one person to devote months of personal time when short bursts as and
when can do the trick.

Should anyone decide to give it a try, you need to register to write.
This is purely because we could not keep up with the fight against spam
when we left it entirely open.  Registering gives you a personal page,
too, which you can use as a scratch-pad.  The navigation panel has links
to help pages.  Finally, my user pages (Annew) has many examples.

Anne