[kdepim-users] font rendering errors running kmail on gnome

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Feb 23 13:01:14 GMT 2015

On Monday, February 23, 2015 05:56:53 AM Nils Kassube wrote:
> Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Monday, February 23, 2015 01:08:39 AM Nils Kassube wrote:
> > > Well, maybe it isn't worth the time. In your original mail I
> > > overlooked, that you are still using kmail-1.13.7. I suppose it is
> > > unlikely that someone will fix problems with that ancient version.
> > > But of course you could search at bugs.kde.org if the problem is
> > > known and maybe someone posted a solution or workaround.
> >
> > We should remember, when calling it ancient, that it is the default
> > (or claws I believe) in Debian 7.8, aka wheezy's repo's?  ;-)
>
> I'm not familiar with the current Debian defaults and there was no
> offense intended. So if you don't like "ancient", I could try other
> attributes like aged, elderly, venerable, time-honoured, classic,
> traditional, oldfashioned. I'm not sure which one of them would be
> appropriate. :)

All of which can and do apply to me also, Nils, since I am now 80 yo. :)

All I was/am saying is that it is still "shipping" today.  In debian
wheezy.

And I might say I was glad as 1.13.5 from the previous Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS
install was an old friend, so I had no problem sliding my well over 10Gb
of old email right into it, and even doing a couple of mailfile to maildir
conversions in the process.  But 1.13.5, while having some rather
maddening warts of its own, like "sticky" checkboxes that weren't, did not
obviously suffer from this problem.

I have been thru kmailrc with grep and friends, even grepping the whole
.kde tree without finding a 'usual/likely suspect'.  So I come here,
hoping its something someone recognises and has fixed.

I think the fact that no one else has suffered, is telling me I should go
bug the debian list about it. I just assumed that taking it to the source
would have been the quickest way to solve it.

So lets let this one die, unsolved.

Thank you Nils.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)