[kdepim-users] Work-around to issues with Akonadi file based caching (was: Re: rant)

E. Hakan Duran ehakanduran at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 00:59:53 GMT 2015

Hi Martin,

I ended up resetting kdepim as recommended by the kde website, which I cannot
remember the address at the moment. What I essentially did was to rename the
folders ~/.local/share/akonadi and ~/.config/akonadi to akonadi.old. Then all
mail and calendar agents were gone but the identities were somehow retained
(thankfully). I redefined all mail and calendar accounts afterwards, and set
the size threshold to 32768 :). Of course it took a while to rebuild the
database, but since then I am able to maintain the size of the folder
file_db_data at 1.6 GB independent of the duration of akonadi staying on.

I have been using my ~ folder since fedora 15, i.e. about 6 years and although
I don't have any evidence of file corruption I tend to think that certain
subtle changes in config files etc. between versions of even the same flavor of
linux may make programs act bizarre. For example, I had an untrusted
certificate issue with my Citrix account form this same computer, and no matter
how much I troubleshooted, I just couldn't get it work. Finally, letting
Firefox recreating the ~/.mozilla folder solved everything :). So that was
what inspired me to do this.

Thank you for sharing your solution with me. I am quite content at the moment,
and although I would welcome a more responsive kdepim, it is functional enough
for me to enjoy its customizibility. I know it is not possible, but I really
wish I could make donations specifically to kdepim.

Will stay in touch. Thanks!

Hakan