[kdepim-users] rant

E. Hakan Duran ehakanduran at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 02:10:11 GMT 2015

Thank you Ingo for your reply.

On Tuesday, February 10, 2015 09:20:41 PM Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> GMail stores exactly one copy of each message regardless of how many folders
> (which are more or less all just filtered views on all messages) contain a
> message. For KMail (and I guess for any other IMAP mail client) multiple
> copies of the same message in different folders are different messages.
> This means KMail will download (and store locally) the same messages
> multiple times.

OK, got it. Makes sense.

Please see below my results:

> I got this (for my 4 online IMAP accounts):
> # ls ~/.local/share/akonadi/file_db_data | wc -l
> 30254
138989
> # grep -hi -m1 "^message-id:" ~/.local/share/akonadi/file_db_data/*
> >message- ids.txt
> # cat message-ids.txt | wc -l
> 30221
137198
> # cat message-ids.txt | sort | uniq | wc -l
> 21081
13126
> So, there are 30254 messages and other Akonadi objects (larger than the
> threshold). Those contain 30221 Message-ID headers (some of the files
> contain address book entries) of which 21081 are unique (so about every 3rd
> message seems to be a duplicate).

It looks like 1 out 10 messages is unique in my case. No, I don't keep
messages in my inbox, they get labeled via Gmail and delivered to
corresponding folders upon receipt. This is all taken care of by Gmail server,
so I wonder why akonadi database is so much more inefficient in my case.

With all due respect, I still find it hardly reasonable to dedicate > 50 GB HDD
space for a total of 3 darn IMAP accounts.

Thanks,

Hakan