[kdepim-users] Fwd: akonadi 4 & 5 not coinstallable !

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Fri Dec 25 17:09:48 GMT 2015

On Thursday, 2015-11-26, 22:07:50, Daniel Vrátil wrote:

> We realize there are still some KDE4-based applications that need Akonadi
> and their port to KF5 is still underway (or not even started) and we
> understand that it may cause problems to some users. However the major
> changes that we did allowed us to move forward in a way that would not be
> otherwise possible. The performance gain and memory usage optimizations
> alone were absolutely worth it, not mentioning the improved maintainability
> and robustness of the entire thing. To me this is a price worth paying.....

I am sad to read that Akonadi is no longer considered a user's PIM hub and is
now just an implementation detail of KDEPIM.

I always felt that having PIM as a service was one of the most important goals
of the project and for FOSS desktop and mobile computing in general.

For calendar and contacts we have still EDS of course, but I am not sure they
have managed to add email yet.

Ah well, all good things come to an end at some point.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring