[kdepim-users] q: Kontact > External Editor -- activate via keyboard shortcut?

Pablo Sanchez pablo at blueoakdb.com
Thu Nov 13 16:46:01 GMT 2014

[ Comments below, in-line ]

On 11/13/2014 10:49 AM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> Hi Pablo,

Hi Rene,

> I find Kontact better suited to my needs than Thunderbird
>
> [ trimmed ]

Aye, I did too ... this is why I'd like to come back!  :)

>> >I think my needs a lot easier.  At the Compose window, I'd like to be
>> >able to choose one of the three methods.
>
> Ah, but that doesn't seem to involve invoking the external editor,
> right?

Yes, I'd like to be able to decide on my own whether to invoke the
external editor or not.

The Use Case is something like the following:

   Is HTML needed to Reply or to make the message clear?
      o If yes, edit in HTML.

      o If no, is it a quick text email and/or requires no shell info,
        etc:
           o If yes, stay in Compose
           o If no, use the External Editor

> Yes, that's what I meant. I don't even see an "edit with external
> editor" menu action, actually, but if you know how to trigger that
> you can define a custom shortcut in /systemsettings/shortcuts and
> gestures/. In principle that works for any menu action that you can
> activate via a series of keystrokes.

Unfortunately the setting is global and it's either on or off.  When
it's on and you mouse into the text box of a Compose window, the
configured external editor is fork'd.

>> > I do see what you mean with mysqld chewing up quite a bit of
>> > resources.  At the moment, it's quite CPU bound.  Almost suggesting
>
> That's also the impression I was getting when I played arount a bit
> with "atsar" and zpool iostat. Though with ZFSonLinux it is
> sometimes hard to say if the CPU load is in the application or in
> the filesystem drivers.

Just for fun, I created an IMAP account and downloaded a whack of
email (I have oodles).  The default memory for mysql was a bit low and
I have tons of memory on my box so I boosted it.

   innodb_buffer_pool_size=768M

As this is for play, I also set the flusing of the log buffer to a
more relaxed value.  It was set to /2/ but based on the results of
some benchmarks published, I set it to /0/:

   innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit=0

Just for grins, I'm going to try to trigger a large DELETE event but
before I do so, I'm going to try to disable logging globally (I hope I
have the right incantation):

   mysql --socket=.... (the /socket/ value from /ps -ef|fgrep mysql/)
   > set global sql_log_bin=0;
   > show variables like 'sql%';

Unfortunately, the above doesn't quite work (yet!) because the setting
only takes for new DB connections.  I'm thinking of setting up a logon
trigger which would set it ... but I shouldn't burn too much time here

>> >we're missing an index or two.  Although it could be that we're
>> >issuing many, many point-SELECT's.  I may enable some query logging to
>> >see what's going on.
>
> Gee, I must have set you off onto something. Hopefully we'll all
> gain something out of it :)

:) ... I need to log some of the SQL being sent and I'll have a peak.

Cheers!
--
Pablo Sanchez - Blueoak Database Engineering, Inc
Ph:    819.459.1926         Blog:  http://pablo-blog.blueoakdb.com