[kdepim-users] q: Kontact > External Editor -- activate via keyboard shortcut?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 19:33:41 GMT 2014

On Thursday November 13 2014 13:42:20 Pablo Sanchez wrote:

Hi,

> First, /akonadictl restart/ is effectively /stop/ and /start/  Yes, I
> know you this but hang with me ... :)

> When we issue a /stop/ all DB client processes are stopped, then the
> DB is brought down.

Hmm, what I don't know (yet) is if /stop/ also terminates the mysqld process - in case you're using the "internal" option (I am).

> Instead, what I've done is I'm using the /--init_file/ parameter,
> which is passed to the /mysqld/, to execute a global SQL script.  The
> one with the setting to disable logging.  *grin*

You know there's an official wrapper, /usr/sbin/mysqld-akonadi ?

> That's not a good thing for performance.  It's great for a developer
> because the data structures don't have to change much.  But from a
> performance perspective, hmm, not so good.  It's still early days

I guess so. Then again, C++ and lots of debug output isn't so good from a performance perspective either O:-)

> I think I need to retire so I can work on this stuff for fun!

Hah! I'm not retired, just without work, but at least this gives me proof that I wouldn't bore myself to death if ever I do get to retire from something :)

Cheers,
R.