[kdepim-users] akonadi error - fails to start

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon Nov 17 22:34:02 GMT 2014

On Monday 17 November 2014 15:21:23 dirk wrote:
> What to do to make akonadi run again?
>
> And how to get access to my old mails, notes, dates etc.?
>
> By startin akonadi in an text console I get the following error messages:
[snip]
> Invalid database object during database server startup
[snip]
> ProcessControl: Application 'akonadiserver' returned with exit code 255
> (Unknown error)
> "akonadiserver" crashed too often and will not be restarted!

It seems that Akonadi's database is corrupt. I had the same problem (Invalid
database object during database server startup) last Friday. Restarting
Akonadi didn't help. So, I tried to reboot the computer. But the computer
didn't boot anymore. The boot loader panicked because it couldn't unpack the
kernel (corrupt zip file). I fear that my SSD is dying. :-(

Therefore I suggest that you make a full backup of your hard disk/SSD before
you do anything else. Afterward check the file
~/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/mysql.err
It might contain details concerning the database problem.

Renaming ~/.local/share/akonadi should have made Akonadi recreate its
database. Maybe it didn't work because the database process was still running.
Or maybe it didn't work because the new database was also corrupted (e.g.
because of a failing hard disk/SSD).