[kdepim-users] Kmail message pane

Waitman Gobble gobble.wa at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 23:03:10 GMT 2014

On Sun, Nov 16, 2014 at 2:48 PM, René J.V. <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:

>  On Sunday November 16 2014 14:08:08 Waitman Gobble wrote:
>

> > At the bottom pane is always a turquoise/blue panel with the following
> text:
>

> > "Retrieving Folder Contents
>

> > Please wait . . ."
>

> > That does not ever change if I click on different folders and/or
> different
>
> > messages.
>

> You just described the exact same issue I have been fighting the last
> couple of days.
>
> Do you have a lot of folders and/or many accounts? And are you on a ZFS
> pool?
>

> There isn't much you can do against this, I'm afraid. Here are a few:
>

> - Restart KMail
>
> - Restart akonadi, by typing
>
> akonadictl restart
>
> in a terminal or via the Alt-F2 run dialog or through the "Server/Restart
> Server" menu in akonadiconsole
>
> - using akonadiconsole, go to server/configure, check the backend you use.
> If it's not the "internal" mysqld server,
>
> stop the server and then configure things to use that internal mysqld
> server. You'll need to have one installed, but
>
> I take it that will be the case by default on FreeBSD.
>
> Making this change will probably oblige you to reconfigure everything, but
> things might work better afterwards.
>
> - Downgrade to KDE PIM 4.13.3 ... (just kdepimlibs, kdepim and
> kdepim-runtime, you can keep akonadi and kdelibs at the latest versions).
>

> Good luck!
>
> René

Hi,

Thanks for the tips, I'll give it a shot.
This machine is not using ZFS. Only one account but years of emails in many
folders, (however only a few are subscribed..) took me a minute to figure
out how to only show 'subscribed folders' but now those are the only ones
in the list.

I didn't specifically set up mysqld on this machine but it appears that it
is running, must have been a port dependency :) IMHO postgres would be
better. I'll check out the possibilities.

# ps ax | grep mysqld
 1114  -  I       65:35.03 /usr/local/libexec/mysqld
--defaults-file=/xj/waitman/.local/share/akonadi/

--
Waitman Gobble
Los Altos California USA