[kdepim-users] timezone dropped in Reply-To composer template

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu May 29 16:42:02 BST 2014

On Wednesday 28 May 2014 14:54:24 Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> One of my colleagues noticed that the default Reply-to template's
>
>     On  "%ODATE at %OTIME"  someone said:
>
> pattern just drops any time zone specified by the original sender,
> which results is wonky times when the sender is not in the same time
> zone as the replier.
>
> He uses a script to do the timezone math properly now.
>
> I just looked at the bugs repository and didn't find anything similar
> reported. Is this a bug or something we're missing in template
> options?

It's a missing feature (and, apparently, nobody missed it enough to file
a bug for this until now).

AFAIC, I never missed the timezone and I see very little value in adding
it. Usually, I've also received the replied-to message and this one
obviously has the correct timestamp (conceniently converted to my
timezone). So, I couldn't care less for the timestamp in the reply.

Also, I think most people will just be confused by the timezone.
Therefore, IMO the default reply template should stay as-is.

Feel free to add %OTIMEWITHTIMEZONE (or %OTIMEZONE ?) to the template
engine if you think it's worth it.