[kdepim-users] I want to stay with KDEPIM-2, Akonadi, Baloo (was: Re: Searching in KMail?)

Peter Humphrey peter at prh.myzen.co.uk
Sat May 10 14:56:36 BST 2014

On Saturday 10 May 2014 12:56:01 Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Am Samstag, 10. Mai 2014, 09:38:08 schrieb Peter Humphrey:
> > On Friday 09 May 2014 22:46:42 cgw993 at aol.com wrote:
> > > I wish they would just focus on making excellent stand alone
> > > applications,
> > > that have their own search engines that only work with that application.
> >
> > KMail-1 was just like that. Really useful and simple to use, and IMO
> > easily
> > the best MUA around. Since then we've had Progress inflicted on us. If I
> > thought I could go back to KMail-1 I would (this is a Gentoo box), and to
> > blazes with the Brave New World.
>
> I wouldn´t want to go back.

Well, after reading the rest of your epistle, neither would I   ;-)

> With Baloo for me it goes like this:
>
> I type Alt-F2, type "Brave New World" and got your mail, a reply to your
> mail, a mail from BTRFS mailing list and some more results in a fraction of
> a second!

Looks like I'll just have to wait for Baloo to appear in Gentoo. You make it
sound good.

--->8

> Was it barely usable or even unusable for quite some users during early
> stages of development? I think yes. Does it even now take painfully long to
> mature? I think yes. Was it frustrating to use for a lot of users? I think
> yes. But thats not due to architecture in my eyes. Its due to the lack of
> manpower. So go help. Or have patience and wait, or stick to something else
> in the meanwhile, looking at KDEPIM from time to time again.

I'll wait. I'm afraid my coding days are long gone - 25 years or so.

> I suggest looking at it with KDE SC 4.13.1 with Baloo. I think its worth it.

That version hasn't yet appeared in Gentoo, though kmail-4.13.0 is available
in what you might call the testing branch. I may give that a try tomorrow if I
get bored   :-O

> Okay, done writing something positive about KDEPIM, Akonadi and Baloo. Took
> me some time, but I thought it was needed.

I'm glad you did - many thanks!

> I prefer KMail as I like its GUI. I have seen no mail client with a GUI I
> like as much and I tried out Icedove and Evolution as I had issues with
> Akonadi and large IMAP at work. KMail just is my favorite. Thus I tried to
> bear with it as much as possible, although I admit it was difficult at
> times and I was near to jump ship sometimes.

It's my favourite too, as I've said before, and that's why I haven't jumped
ship.

> Ciao,

You too.

--