[kdepim-users] Searching in KMail?

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Sat May 10 14:31:57 BST 2014

On Friday, 2014-05-09, 22:46:42, cgw993 at aol.com wrote:
> Not a fan of Kontact or any other "groupware" type of program.  Since Kmail
> is set up to apparently interact with other k programs, I have concerns
> about privacy and functionality because these programs share so much data.

Initially the programs interacted directly, i.e. starting each other and
passing arguments to back and forth.
Which was a really hacked on solution.

For example if KOrganizer needed to send out invitations for an event, it
needed to run KMail and tell it to generate mails.
Or it needed to run the address book if it wanted to add contacts for doing
that.

The main idea at the point of transition to the current architecture was that
the functionality required for these kinds of things is actually mostly
independent of any UI for the respective data type.
E.g. you don't need you email folders, email list or email viewer when you
generate an automated email in the calendar application.

This is what is often also referred to as the "Unix approach", where service
programs called daemons provide a certain functionality that is then used by
user front ends.

> I wish they would just focus on making excellent stand alone applications,
> that have their own search engines that only work with that application. I
> have been trying out Sylpheed and so far I really like this program for
> email.

As this example shows very well, there are products for the group of people
who never need any shared addressbook or calendaring, just email contacts and
emails in a specialzed app.

As the case of Trojita demonstrates even ones created by the KDE community.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring