[kdepim-users] Scary dialogs

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Mon Mar 3 11:05:29 GMT 2014

On Monday, 2014-03-03, 11:07:51, Mathias Homann wrote:
> Am Montag, 3. März 2014, 10:32:44 schrieb Kevin Krammer:
> > I think it will be a while until a replacement system can be attempted to
> > be written, though it should be easier this time around since all
> > programs communicate using the same protocol and do not depend on any
> > specific way the server is implemented in.
>
> Supposedly there will be a move away from nepomuk and virtuoso in the next
> bigger release...

Ah, yes. I thought the service references was Akonadi.

> > Btw, jsut curious, how do the many other programs that use SQLite handle
> > this, e.g. Mozilla's applications?
>
> Just as badly, hence my firefox profile folder being a symlink into /dev/shm
> that gets rsync'd on login and logout.

I see. I had wondered about that because given the reverse dependency list of
libsqlite it seemed to be used a lot.

Would be interesting to know if any other remote filesystem has kept up with
the changing requirements on desktop and has better local caching or similar
for database files.

> On the other hand, switch off the indexing and you might just as well
> completely stop using kontact and migrate to thunderbird, which is kind of
> sad, seeing how kontact used to be one of the "KDE poster apps"... But
> seriously, which other desktop environmenmt needs a central database server
> to be useful?

GNOME's Evolution Data Server. Using an access arbiter is unfortunately the
only reliable way of providing concurrent data access to multiple clients.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring