[kdepim-users] Local mail folders not found

Peter peter777 at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Mar 2 11:29:24 GMT 2014

On Sun, 2 Mar 2014 12:10:03 PM Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Sunday, 2014-03-02, 21:51:54, Peter wrote:

> > > The .directory is where the sub folders are.
> > >
> > > E.g. if you have a mail folder structure like the following in KMail
> > >
> > > Mailinglists
> > >
> > >     kdepim-users
> > >
> > > Then on the file system this looks like this
> > >
> > > Mailinglists
> > > Mailinglists/cur
> > > .Mailinglists.directory
> > > .Mailinglists.directory.kdepim-users
> > > .Mailinglists.directory.kdepim-users/cur
> > >
> > > The "cur" directories is where each folders email is.
> >
> > The directory structure sems a little bit different from Kubuntu a few
> > years ago ??
>
> The base directory may be different, but the general structure has been
> around for many years.

I have been using $HOME/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail for a few years.

> Initially the base directory used to be $HOME/Mail, however some
> distributions patched the code to make that $HOME/.Mail (e.g. Mandrake
> IIRC).
> Later versions used $HOME/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail as the base path.
>
> With the advent of cross-desktop locations such as $HOME/.local/share (also
> known as $XDG_DATA_HOME), newer versions used that as the base path's
> prefix.

Well I'm using KMail 4.11.5 , and every time I tried putting the mail location
as $HOME/.local/share/local-mail , KMail would go put the mail in
$HOME/.local/share/local-mail.directory

(I had previously reported the path as $HOME/.local/share/.local-
mail.directory , and that was reported incorrectly)

> > > In your case I am not totally sure where that .local-mail directory
> > > comes
> > > from, here it is called local-mail (without the leading dot).
> >
> > When you stated "without the dot" I wondered if doing my maildirs in a
> > hidden folder was complicating things. For example if I had
> >
> > ~/.local/share/local-mail
> >
> > in the config, KMail kept putting (appending) ".directory" to what was in
> > the config. I even tested this at different levels within ~/.local
>
> The config holds the path of the "top level" folder. As I explained above
> all its sub folders go into the .directory tree. Each sub sub folder into
> their respective parent's .directory and so on.
>
> > So, back to the hidden path/file. I added a folder ..
> >
> > ~/Mail
> >
> > in the KMail config and it worked just fine. So, thanks very much for your
> > help, you have solved the problem for me.  :D
>
> Ah, so you must have had one of those older setups :)
>
> > Now, I'm "importing" by simply copying folders into ~/Mail and sub paths.
> > I'm sure that will work now. How do I ensure that the akonadi db and other
> > files associated with it, is in sync with my folders. Is there a command
> > wipe the db and have it search through the folders to reload or similar ?
>
> The maildir backend handler (resource) should do that automatically.

Okay thanks, good to know the database is in sync with the folder content.

Regards,

Peter