[kdepim-users] kmail 4.8.5 -> 4.11.5 : new config files ?

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Fri Feb 14 09:17:33 GMT 2014

On Thursday, 2014-02-13, 23:01:48, christophe wrote:
> Le jeudi 13 février 2014, 19:42:59 Kevin Krammer a écrit :
> >[...]
>
> Thank you very much Kevin for your input.
>
> Actually i couldn't wait and i tried to update by just putting the mails in
> ~/.local/share/local-mail
> And i began to cry when i discovered that kmail didn't display any mail.
> Actually, idiscovered that now kamil puts his mails in
> ~/.local/share/akonadi_maildir_resource_0
> Don't know why.

This is seriously strange.
I'll have to check the code to see if this could be a downstream patch.
The default path should be the local-mail one, all others should be user
configured.

> So i imported the mails with the kmail tool.
> And it was a real pain.
> I still don't understand why kmail/akonadi or some hidden devil put some
> mails in the /cur and some others in the /new for no rational reason.

That's how maildir works. But whether in new/ cur/ or tmp/ shouldn't matter,
the mails are always identified the same way by the maildir code.

I think the main idea behind this is that cur/ never gets mail file content
changed.
So when a new mail is added it is first created in new/ and then "moved"
(renamed) to cur/.
So a second program using the same maildir directory could watch for new files
in cur/ and always be sure to get "full files" (no files that are still
getting data written into them).

> If someone could give me one way to avoid the random /cur /new untidied
> mails, i would really thank him.

If not program working with that maildir is currently running, then just
moving the files from tmp/ to cur/ should be fine.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring