[kdepim-users] Korganiizer: How to add calendar on IMAP folder?

Stephan Olbrich stephanolbrich at gmx.de
Thu Feb 20 21:12:24 GMT 2014

Am Sonntag, 16. Februar 2014, 15:06:31 schrieb Kevin Krammer:
> On Friday, 2014-02-14, 22:46:09, Ingo Klöcker wrote:

> > > As far as I can tell that (Calendar on IMAP) should still be possible,
> > > this is was Kolab is doing.
> > > I think it requires that the IMAP server supports folder annotations
> > > and that certain folders have those annotations telling the client do
> > > treat emails in such folders as containers for events, contacts, etc.
> > >
> > > On the client side this is handled by the "Kolab Resource", a helper
> > > process that basically "subscribes" to those IMAP folders and maps
> > > their actual contents into respective Contact or Calendar folders.
> >
> > Many years ago IMAP calendars were possible without using Kolab. The
> > generic "Groupware" feature died either with the switch to KDE 4 or with
> > the switch to Akonadi. Hmm, or it died with the switch to the new Kolab
> > XML format. Anyway, it's gone since a long time. Nowadays, the Kolab
> > resource is the only way for storing a calendar in an IMAP folder.
>
> It might still be possible to do this with other IMAP servers.
> Server access is handled by the normal IMAP resource, the Kolab resource
> "detects" these groupware folders based on IMAP folder annotations if I
> remember correctly.
>
> As far as I know both Cyrus and Dovecote support these annotations.
>
> The difficult bit is probably creating the annotations.

It is still possible with normal IMAP server, only the initial configuration is
not really strait forword.
This is how it works for me:
Go to the akonadi configuration and add a Kolab resource.
Go to the configuration of the Kolab resource.
Select the IMAP server you want to use.
Select the Kolab-format you want to use and click on "create Kolab folders"
(The text might be a bit different, my KDE is in german)
Now new folders for calendar etc. should show up in your IMAP account.
You may have to restart akonadi, but then you should see a new calendar etc.

Regards,
Stephan