[kdepim-users] Korganiizer: How to add calendar on IMAP folder?

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Sun Feb 16 14:06:31 GMT 2014

On Friday, 2014-02-14, 22:46:09, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Thursday 13 February 2014 19:30:33 Kevin Krammer wrote:

> > As far as I can tell that (Calendar on IMAP) should still be possible,
> > this is was Kolab is doing.
> > I think it requires that the IMAP server supports folder annotations
> > and that certain folders have those annotations telling the client do
> > treat emails in such folders as containers for events, contacts, etc.
> >
> > On the client side this is handled by the "Kolab Resource", a helper
> > process that basically "subscribes" to those IMAP folders and maps
> > their actual contents into respective Contact or Calendar folders.
>
> Many years ago IMAP calendars were possible without using Kolab. The
> generic "Groupware" feature died either with the switch to KDE 4 or with
> the switch to Akonadi. Hmm, or it died with the switch to the new Kolab
> XML format. Anyway, it's gone since a long time. Nowadays, the Kolab
> resource is the only way for storing a calendar in an IMAP folder.

It might still be possible to do this with other IMAP servers.
Server access is handled by the normal IMAP resource, the Kolab resource
"detects" these groupware folders based on IMAP folder annotations if I
remember correctly.

As far as I know both Cyrus and Dovecote support these annotations.

The difficult bit is probably creating the annotations.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring