[kdepim-users] me too

Shridhar Daithankar ghodechhap at ghodechhap.net
Wed May 22 03:27:14 BST 2013

On Tuesday, May 21, 2013 11:07:22 PM huw wrote:
> Yeah I'm coming around to this way of thinking too.  Over the last few weeks
> I've hopped between quite a few distros and thus tried numerous versions of
> KDE.  Most times I was thwarted by a nasty bug (which the KDE devs refused
> to acknowledge) which prevented me using my IMAP mail account with Kontact.
>
> I eventually settled on Debian, thinking that a sufficiently old version of
> KDE would work, and it did...but it's full of other bugs.  Absolutely
> riddled with them.  At the moment the worst bug is Kontact crashing every
> time I try to send an encrypted email.  I've had enough.
>
> My absolute last ditch attempt to work with KDE will be to install Arch over
> the weekend.  If I still can't work with KDE when my installed version will
> be as close to "pure" - and as up to date - as possible, then I'll just
> throw in the towel and go back to Gnome and Evolution.

I have been using kmail(whatever version that came with contemporary KDE) with
arch for last 4+ years. I have gone thr. the transition from kmail1 to kmail2
and I have nuked my entire ~/.kde* directories numerous time to experiment.

Except for one time where kmail ate my pop messages(looong time ago) and I set
up a local imap server for backup/debloating $HOME, I have not seen any bugs
in kmail that prevents its use as mail client.

rare crashes, yes but nothing that eats your messages and prevents from
sending/receiving mails either.

for reference, I am running akonadi database on system postgresql instance,
not local mysql instance(again to keep $HOME lean and I like postgresql). I
have two pop and 1 imap account(which is basically email archiver) and 99% of
my email traffic is mailing list.

and my $dayjob depends on this setup(including desktop, virtualbox among other
things).

So I wish you luck with your adventure in archlinux... welcome :)
--
Regards
 Shridhar