[kdepim-users] akonadi drops contacts

Anders Lund anders at alweb.dk
Mon May 13 12:53:38 BST 2013

On Mandag den 13. maj 2013 13:27:43, Thomas Tanghus wrote:
> On Monday 13 May 2013 10:36 Anders Lund wrote:
> > Buissness as usual - akonadi decided to drop about half my contacts. I
> > have
> > one addressbook, which is a webdav/owncloud resource also providing
> > calendars.
> >

> > There is no sane way of getting it to update, recreating it is insanely
> > complex.
>
> Yes, it is insanely complex to enter your credentials, select "ownCloud" and
> enter a URL ;)

That is not what I have to do. The owncloud preset does not work with my
owncloud installation, so I use the generic webdav resource.

I can not solve the problem from KAddressbook, as opposed to other kdepim
applications where you can handle related resources.

The dialog for editing an item is not very well designed, I find it confusing
- for example it talks about "access to remote _calendar_, when I want to fix
a problem with my addressbook. It is not big enough to show the strings it
contains, and they are just cut off. Controls in it are illogically grouped.

So the complexity is not to do the few operations required, but to figure out
what they are.

> That being said I experienced it myself a few days ago on 4.10.2. My CardDAV
> resource had registered the correct number of contacts, but they had no URL
> or body anymore, and clearing Akonadi cache didn't help, so I had to
> perform the complex procedure ;)

I wouldn't know the correct number. I just observed that people was missing
when I needed the data, and that way kdepim sometimes stands in my way,
instead of being a help.

I think that a way to refresh resources are missing, for as long as it doesn't
simply work. That wouldn't hurt anyways, and other systems does provide that.

--
Anders