[kdepim-users] me too

aa056 at pinc.com aa056 at pinc.com
Sun May 19 21:56:28 BST 2013

On Fri, May 17, 2013 10:10 pm, Peter wrote:
> On Thursday 16 May 2013 14:21:47 aa056 at pinc.com wrote:
>
>> Used kmail for years with great success but version 2 is too much of a
>> mess. I tried, I really tried, but for all the reasons John outlined
>> (see
>> below) I give up. Claws is fine, fast, simple, no 300Meg dependencies,
>> just email, fast and simple.
>
> I don't know if I'm on Kmail 2 , but the KDE and KMail versions are 4.8.5
> , so
> I _think_ I am.
>

> I too, am tired of the CPU resources being used by KMail/Nepomuk/Virtuoso
> ,
> have lost emails, searches often don't find what they should. Numerous
> occassions it have crashed the system, or frozen up.  I did have a look
> at Thunderbird, but it didn't have the features I wanted. Might try claws,
> as I see another user has gone down that path.
>
> If I'm moving emails to other folders, I do a manula check, to make sure
> they all got moved. What is the 300 Mb problem ??

I use (or used to, actually I'm on Mate now) the Gnome desktop. kmail is
almost the only program from kde that I've used (k3b too). The netbook I'm
typing this on had a nice clean install of Ubuntu 10.04 with Thunderbird
as mail client. I wanted to install kmail for features and ease of
transition but got an enormous amount of dependencies being pulled in.
After all that I was in exactly the same situation as I was on my usual
workstation with Fedora that has been (pre-)upgraded repeatedly. So not
only was the install of a pop client cumbersome, it was very unproductive
and a waste of resources.

My experience with kde apps is that they look good, provide good
functionality and run slowly. My take is that the developers have not
factored appropriately, I think I'm paying for a degree of integration
that I don't want and consequently am no longer willing to suffer. Too
bad, too, kmail was in many ways an ideal client.

Dave