[kdepim-users] Timezone issue

Johann Rohwer jr at sun.ac.za
Wed Mar 13 14:30:44 GMT 2013

On Wednesday 13 March 2013 16:09:14 O. Sinclair wrote:
> On 13/03/2013 15:55, Atanas Zhelev wrote:

> >> Well noone responded to this but some trial and error found that
> >> Thunderbird puts the Date on sent mails to UTC +0200 as supposed
> >> while KMail sets it to UTC +0204
> >>
> >> Changing timezone to Lusaka/Africa, also being CAT or UTC +0200
> >> "fixes" the problem.
> >>
> >> I have got the problem confirmed by another KMail user here in
> >> Zimbabwe and also the "fix".
> >>
> >> Question is - is this a very strange KMail bug or an error with
> >> files for Harare/Africa in /usr/share/zoneinfo??
> >>
> >> /Sinclair
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > you could try dumping the information in the timezone file with
> > zdump -v file
> >
> > and then check the offsets. Might lead you to something.
>
> I can read the contents with command
> file /usr/share/zoneinfo/posix/Africa/Harare
> but it "decodes" the file and the output looks just fine.
>
> am starting to suspect a really oddball KMail bug...

On a related note, I am from South Africa and sync my calendar with
Google calendars using the Akonadi CalDAV resource which works just
fine. However, if I set my timezone to Africa/Johannesburg, the events
are offset by 1 hour between my Google calendar and Korganizer. Again,
if I use Africa/Lusaka everything just works fine. I have actually
tried using Africa/Harare as well and found my events to be offset by 4
minutes, so I'm sure this is related to the issue Sinclair is
reporting.

I've just given up and have now set the time zone to Africa/Lusaka on
my computer.

E-pos vrywaringsklousule

Hierdie e-pos mag vertroulike inligting bevat en mag regtens geprivilegeerd wees en is slegs bedoel vir die persoon aan wie dit geadresseer is. Indien u nie die bedoelde ontvanger is nie, word u hiermee in kennis gestel dat u hierdie dokument geensins mag gebruik, versprei of kopieer nie. Stel ook asseblief die sender onmiddellik per telefoon in kennis en vee die e-pos uit. Die Universiteit aanvaar nie aanspreeklikheid vir enige skade, verlies of uitgawe wat voortspruit uit hierdie e-pos en/of die oopmaak van enige l��s aangeheg by hierdie e-pos nie.

E-mail disclaimer

This e-mail may contain confidential information and may be legally privileged and is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that you may not use, distribute or copy this document in any manner whatsoever. Kindly also notify the sender immediately by telephone, and delete the e-mail. The University does not accept liability for any damage, loss or expense arising from this e-mail and/or accessing any files attached to this e-mail.