[kdepim-users] Timezone issue

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 14:37:19 GMT 2013

On 13/03/2013 16:30, Johann Rohwer wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 March 2013 16:09:14 O. Sinclair wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> you could try dumping the information in the timezone file with
>>> zdump -v file
>>>
>>> and then check the offsets. Might lead you to something.
>>
>> I can read the contents with command
>> file /usr/share/zoneinfo/posix/Africa/Harare
>> but it "decodes" the file and the output looks just fine.
>>
>> am starting to suspect a really oddball KMail bug...
>
> On a related note, I am from South Africa and sync my calendar with
> Google calendars using the Akonadi CalDAV resource which works just
> fine. However, if I set my timezone to Africa/Johannesburg, the events
> are offset by 1 hour between my Google calendar and Korganizer. Again,
> if I use Africa/Lusaka everything just works fine. I have actually
> tried using Africa/Harare as well and found my events to be offset by 4
> minutes, so I'm sure this is related to the issue Sinclair is
> reporting.
>
> I've just given up and have now set the time zone to Africa/Lusaka on
> my computer.

Ha ha, that Lusaka would ever work better than Joburg! Sorry completely
off-topic and perhaps only Johann and others in the southern Africa get
what I mean..

but thanks, you strengthen the suspicion that this is KDEPIM (looks like
not only KMail) rather than Kubuntu (my distro) or the timezone files
for Africa/Harare itself.

Now how to report this bug.. "suspected weirdness with timezone readings..."