[kdepim-users] ~/.Mail.directory

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Thu Jul 4 11:42:45 BST 2013

Am Donnerstag, 4. Juli 2013, 02:03:56 schrieb Jerome Yuzyk:
> On Tuesday, July 02, 2013 12:27:55 AM Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> > I keep getting a    ~/.Mail.directory     created I think when I start
> > KMail2. What's it used for? It contains some or all of a basic mail
> > folder tree with no contents.
>
> I am wondering if this is the root of my problems, from
>
> http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=215&t=98929
>
>     "KMail 2 by default treats the folder given as a standard MBox - so
>     some of your Mail would escape from the folder, and end up as
>     /home/<username>/.Mail.directory/"
>
> with a prescription for fixing the situation, in the Feb 05, 2012 11:25am
> post.
>
> Does this make sense?

Jerome, I strongly suggest to just use your old KMail 1 mail directory, after
having separated out all mbox folders (for later), and then point the local
mail folders directory at it for migration.

Actually, what I did was just to move my old KMail 1 mail directory – after
having made sure I have a backup – to ~/.local/share/local-mail and then let
Akonadi start to pick it up with a clean Akonadi / Nepomuk state (i.e. all
configuration files removed).

To speed up the initial indexing I also told Akonadi *not* to feed mail data
to Nepomuk. Heck, I am still not using mail indexing right now. I may try to
enable it, but I bet I wait for the speedups in Nepomuk for KDE SC 4.11 before
trying again.

I tried the importing stuff but soon gave up as I noticed that moving the
folder contents around to their final location would be taking *ages*. I tried
the migration stuff but had other issues with it as well.

Just pointing the maildir resource at the mail directory of KMail 1 and
pressing "Synchronize all" in Akonadiconsole did the trick for me.

If you want to know where your mail resides look at:

martin at merkaba:~/.kde/share/config> cat akonadi_maildir_resource_0rc
[General]
Path[$e]=$HOME/.local/share/local-mail
TopLevelIsContainer=true

There may be other maildir resources or even mbox or mixedmail resources. "ls
akonadi*" can give you a list of whats configured.

Actually I do not get why these are stored inside ~/.kde directory when
Akonadi is supposed to be KDE-independent and everything else in in
~/.config/akonadi or ~/local/share/akonadi

Thanks,