[kdepim-users] Kmail not recognising alt identity

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Wed Jul 17 19:35:01 BST 2013

On 17/07/13 15:12, Martin Skjöldebrand wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 July 2013 14.52.21 you wrote:

>>> Oh wasn't aware of that being an issue. No, It uses the same
>>> inbox. I only use it to check and reply on my organisation
>>> mail. (Defaulting to the default identity).
>>>
>>> I've got two gmail addresses, one private and one for the
>>> organisation I belong to. I use Kmail to POP3 both accounts to
>>> my laptop so I don't have to visit each on the web. I then
>>> want to reply to my private mail using the default identity,
>>> and organisation mail using my secondary identity. Or write
>>> mail with either. Even if I change to my secondary identity
>>> when writing and sending new email, the primary email address
>>> is used.
>>>
>>> Does it somehow use the dientity set in the inbox regardless of
>>>  individual mailsetting unless I specifically select another
>>> folder with other settings? Testing that now.
>>
>> It uses the default setting unless you specifically tell it not
>> to. There are at least two ways to do this -
>>
>> 1) Separate the mail into folders and associate an identity with
>> each folder.
>
> Yeah, I've set a folder as belonging to my secondary identity.
> Didn't change behaviour when sending emails.

Were you actually in the correct folder when you pulled up the compose
window?  You will probably find that replies do honour your choice
because you are necessarily in that window.  You may have to click on
the correct folder before opening the new message window.

>> 2) Open a compose window and look at the View menu.  Select the
>> fields of interest to you (useful also if you use two different
>> smtp servers).  This will enable you to use a header drop-down
>> to change your identity when sending.  It will be applied to all
>> outgoing mail.
>
> This is what I am doing, and it still not honering the selection
> when sending email. =(

It's not automatic if you do it that way.  I'm sorry, my brain and
fingers were not in sync, so I see why you expected that.  Using this
second message doesn't apply to any message other than the one you are
writing.  I intended the final sentence there to be part of section 1)

We are still talking about Identity - the email address you use for
that message, aren't we?  Not the mail transport?  Though again,
either should be fine from the drop-down lists.

>> This second one isn't automatic, but useful if you don't need to
>>  change often enough to make it worth setting up longer term.
>> Also useful if you want a visual check that things are as you
>> expect :-)
>>
>> Incidentally, it looks as though you (and some others) are
>> putting your address into the Reply field.  The intended use of
>> that is where you need messages to go to a different address than
>> the one you use to post - e.g. sending from work, but want the
>> reply to go to home.
>
> No, I checked both, and reply-to is empty on both.

In KMail settings, on the Identities > Advanced tab?  That's usually
where the problem lies.

Anne