[kdepim-users] Yet Another Troubled KMail2 Migration Successful (Maybe) (For Now)

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Sun Jul 7 20:06:17 BST 2013

On 07/07/2013 19:47, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> On Sunday, July 07, 2013 11:22:57 AM Antonio wrote:
>>
>> The combination of Kmail 1 + KDE 4.10.4 is available, I'm writing this
>> message using it in the latest Kubuntu, and people report they are using
>> Kmail 1 in the latest Debian and Gentoo (though we would have to see
>> what KDE version).
>>
>> If I were you, I would look for the better alternative, not using Kmail 2
>> if the problems were too many by now.
>
> I'd love to have a solid alternative. Can those Debian/Gentoo packages be
> massaged into RPMs for use in Fedora?
>
> The problems are getting to be much too many now and my colleagues and I
> are looking into alternatives. I lost another day when my finally-seemed-
> stable setup lost messages during filtering, deleting them from my ~/Mail
> store, on the way to making me a 341G (yes, G) .xsession-errors log.
>
> This time I made extra effort to clean up my KMail1 ~/Mail before bringing
> it into KMail2. KMail1 really tolerated a lot of cruft that had accumulated
> in my ~/Mail. For other migrators, here's what I had to clean up:
>
> X----------------------------------------------------------------------
> #!/bin/sh
>
> # Clean up a KMail1 ~/Mail for use in KMail2
>
> # A working copy of your mail corpus
> cd ~/Mail-canonical
>
> # Some of these things come from a past attempt at using Claws-Mail
> rm -rf draft queue sent Sigs Stationery .misc.directory .etc.directory
>
> find . -name .claws_cache | xargs rm
> find . -name .claws_mark  | xargs rm
>
> # from a prior mbox->maildir conversion I think
> rm *.index
> rm *.index.ids
>
> # advice from research
> echo 'Empty Files:'
> find . -type f -empty | xargs rm
>
> X----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> This time I could stop Akonadi and move my ~/Mail into place, and then
> spend the evening clicky-clicking to restore Identities, Accounts, Filters,
> and Folder Properties. I've been getting practice. :)
>
> Still, there are multiple sync issues, like your reply being moved into
> seeming-oblivion when I moved it from my inbox (because half my filters
> don't work anymore) into the folder I use for kdepim-users messages.
> Closing KMail, waiting for my CPU to calm down, restarting Akonadi and then
> KMail looks to be a regular fact of life with KMail2 until it either quits
> needing that or we move to an alternative, which I'm thinking now should be
> to move from POP mail to a local IMAP server.

OK. For starters, I have used KDEPIM2 since the beginning. I have had
problems with things like mail address completion and odd filtering and
search problems.

However, having not actually migrated but made a clean setup and then
imported old mail folders (renamed/moved) I have been nowhere near the
problems you have. I have 4 pop and 1 imap accounts, the one sometimes
troubling me being the imap outlook.com account

I can not help but to start think in this long thead that YOU do
something that I and others do not quite understand to get all these
problems.

I have not lost 1 mail yet in 4 (or more) years and have mail storage
since 2000 in my accounts. With KDEPIM1 and recent versions. My
frustration has always been with the mail address scenario and search -
and at 4.10.x it works too.