[kdepim-users] KMail POP account: Cannot change password

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 11:29:14 GMT 2013

On 12/01/2013 13:13, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 8. Januar 2013 schrieb Jim MacLeod:
>> On Tuesday 08 Jan 2013 16:58:29 Maurice Batey wrote:
> […]
>>> And iof I then enable  KWallet in System Settings, then KWallet keeps
>>> butting into KMail sessions.
>>>

>>> Anyone know of a solution to this, please ?
>>
>> KWallet keeps all settings for POP3 but you can change its password to
>> 'blank'  so you don't need to enter anything. Make sure it's not set to
>> 'exit when last app closes' and hopefully it should leave you in peace.
>
> And has security implications.
>
> Anyone getting a hold of your wallet has immediate access to all passwords
> in it if you do not protect it with a password.
>
> Your decision of cause, but bank cards has a PIN for a reason :)
>
> I have read about some fixes of KWallet handling in KMail for recent KDE
> versions. But I bet KDE  SC 4.8.5 may not contain these fixes yet.
>
> Ciao,

Am not so sure of that. Should it not be: if anyone gets hold of your
computer while switched on and you logged in they have your wallet? Try
reading your wallet "straight from the disk" regardless of access
password and I am certain it is crypted?

So rather look at "how paranoid am I". I never give my logon password,
not even to my family, and lock the screen when I go away from the
computer. To get thru that someone would really have to WANT to hack my
data and I can not think of 1 reason why. Even including tax authorities..

Sinclair