[kdepim-users] KDE-PIM and Akonadi

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Wed Jan 16 18:59:39 GMT 2013

Am Mittwoch, 16. Januar 2013 schrieb Thomas Mohr:
> Dear Sirs,

Hi Thomas,

> yesterday I had the bad luck that my Laptop crashed to the point I had to
> reinstall Opensuse. This was a matter of Minutes. However, today I
> discovered that the Laptop became unresponsive after a few minutes. The
> culprit was - like many times before - akonadi. After hours I spent not
> doing cancer research, but hunting down a possible solution to the
> phenomenon I ended up with
>
> a) Reinstalling the MySQL Database.
> b) Reinstalling the Akonadi from Scratch, including ALL ressources.
> c) Hunting down leftover files in some configuration dircories
> etc, etc.
>
> This is not the first time this happens and it costs a lot of money. € 70
> per hour I am not doing something productive.
>
> It can not be that the simple task of reading e-mails on a Laptop and
> managing contacts and an agenda results in having to run a Mysql
> Database and a specialized server (all eats up ressources) which
> requires a lot of indepth knowledge in case something goes wrong.
>
> This is by no means fit for production purposes.
>
> Please, please, Please reintroduce the nice feature where kmail,
> kaddressbook etc read a simple file and contacted a simple IMAP and POP3
> server directly without having to hassle with Databases, Servers running
> on laptops and what not.

Oh dear.

1) You didn´t tell the exact KDE SC and KDEPIM / KMail version you use.

2) You didn´t tell the exact problem.

3) You didn´t tell the exact result of your apparently time consuming
analysis.

4) No one forces you to use KDEPIM 2.

5) It comes free of cost to you.

6) And it appears that you treat the KDEPIM developers as if you have a
written and signed support contract with them.

7) Then you demand from them to undo probably years of work hours KDEPIM
developers have put into KDEPIM 2 and Akonadi.

Do you really expect help or was your mail to vent frustration?

From reading your mail I wouldn´t be a tad bit surprised if none of the
KDEPIM developers feel the slightest desire to answer you.

Yes there have been issues with KDEPIM 2. Yes, it has been a tough ride for
quite some users of it from what I read here. But nothing of this is
unfixable in my oppinion and from what I read here KDEPIM from KDE SC 4.10 is
quite much better than previous versions. And from what I understand the
architecture behind KDEPIM 2 and Akonadi is quite awesome. Quite some
groupware servers also use a search engine and a database for PIM metadata:
For a reason.

Yes, it might it have been premature to release KDEPIM 2 to users. But some
KDE and some distributions did it. That has happened and unless you have a
time machine it is not changeable, so not accepting it doesn´t bring you
anywhere. And if you do not like that, use offerings that still carry KDEPIM
1. Debian Squeeze does, Wheezy will, and SLES 11 SP 2 still AFAIK still has
it as well. Heck, even RHEL might have it. Oh, but then SUSE and Redhat
would charge some money for that support. Then use CentOS or Debian. Or
Thunderbird. Or upgrade to KDEPIM SC 4.10 and try again.

But I see not a chance at all that KDEPIM developers will undo probably
years of work, cause you asked them to.

See?

I still use KDEPIM 1 in Debian Unstable at the moment. But I really like to
test out the KDEPIM from KDE SC 4.10.

Ciao,