[kdepim-users] How actually to migrate?

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 07:05:31 BST 2013

On 20/04/2013 19:43, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Am Samstag, 20. April 2013 schrieb Martin Steigerwald:
>> Am Donnerstag, 18. April 2013 schrieb O. Sinclair:
>>> On 17/04/2013 10:42, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> […]
>> I was about to try to migrate again to KDEPIM 2 as of 4.10.2
>> today. But after some tries with the migrator I was sooo puzzled
>> as on how to migrate, I just gave up again. I redid my BTRFS
>> filesystem before and maybe it was just too much for one day, but
>> still I found: I do not know in what way to migrate.
>>
>> 1) Use the migrator? But then it uses a mixedmaildir resource and
>> folder order is strange.
>>
>> 2) Use one maildir resource and let it synchronize with my
>> ~/Mail?
>>
>> 3) Use one maildir resource per account and let each one
>> synchronize with the account maildir?
>>
>> 4) Or is this synchronization triggering with existing maildirs
>> from KMail 1 completely way off, and I better import those
>> maildirs into an existing "Local Folders" resource of KMail 2?
>>

>> That said on each try to migrate and I got such many pop ups
>> about invalid folder settings and on calenders also missing kcal
>> entries and what not, that I do not feel too confident. And this
>> time the Akonadi and Nepomuk stuff has been on an Ext4
>> filesystem.
>>

>> I am willing to try again, but I really like to have a plan, a
>> clear picture on how the migration is going to work. I didn´t
>> found any clear instruction on userbase.kde.org.
>
> Well there is something on:
>
> https://wiki.kubuntu.org/OneiricOcelot/Final/Kubuntu/Kmail2
>
> http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/KDE/KDEPIM-4.7_upgrade
>

> I get more and more the impression, that I better import my old
> mails from the KMail ~/Mail folder than to have maildir resource
> synchronize with it directly. I thought the maildir resource would
> work if I made sure that no mbox files are left in the ~/Mail
> folder. I made sure about that. But maybe there are other subtile
> differences that might cause data loss?

Well, as far as I can now remember (this was some years ago) I moved
my maildir directories to a separate location, started with a fresh
(as in empty) KMail installation, recreated my accounts and imported
my mail folders using the KMail importer. Had very problems, this was
actually how Kubuntu recommended you do it back then as the migrator
had known problems.

Had to recreate filters and so on but all in all no big (bug) issues.

So yes, I recommend that as it worked for me and gave few problems.
Nothing near what you seem to get when you try the methods you outline.

Best,
Sinclair