[kdepim-users] How actually to migrate?

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 05:06:06 BST 2013

On 21/04/2013 17:23, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 21. April 2013 schrieb O. Sinclair:
>>> […]

>>> Well there is something on:
>>>
>>> https://wiki.kubuntu.org/OneiricOcelot/Final/Kubuntu/Kmail2
>>>
>>> http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/KDE/KDEPIM-4.7_upgrade
>>>

>>> I get more and more the impression, that I better import my
>>> old mails from the KMail ~/Mail folder than to have maildir
>>> resource synchronize with it directly. I thought the maildir
>>> resource would work if I made sure that no mbox files are left
>>> in the ~/Mail folder. I made sure about that. But maybe there
>>> are other subtile differences that might cause data loss?
>>
>> Well, as far as I can now remember (this was some years ago) I
>> moved my maildir directories to a separate location, started with
>> a fresh (as in empty) KMail installation, recreated my accounts
>> and imported my mail folders using the KMail importer. Had very
>> problems, this was actually how Kubuntu recommended you do it
>> back then as the migrator had known problems.
>>
>> Had to recreate filters and so on but all in all no big (bug)
>> issues.
>>
>> So yes, I recommend that as it worked for me and gave few
>> problems. Nothing near what you seem to get when you try the
>> methods you outline.
>
> Well, I think I will try that way, cause the other way of creating
> maildir resources and point them to old KMail 1 maildirs, which may
> still be special, although I moved all mbox files in it to
> elsewhere, may have created subtile issues.
>
> The import way I can be sure I have real KMail 2 / Akonadi
> maildirs.
>
> Did you redo *all* the filter rules? I imported them last time
> which seemed to work quite fine. But maybe there have been issues
> with that as well…
>
> I´d love to be able to just have it upgrade seamlessly.
>
> This is anything else than seamless right now.
>
> I wonder what the casual user would be doing with this.

Yes I recreated all filters eventually (as I recall, this was as noted
a while ago in my case). The filtering has been remade somewhere
around 4.8 and the existing filters became erratic. Currently all
filters seem to work, there is a bug with mail being moved by filters.
The "new mail" indicator does not always indicate the mail that was
moved.

And as for "casual users".. well I keep them on Thunderbird in all
honesty. Sadly. Just as my dear SO prefer Picasa to Digikam.