[kdepim-users] What about VCard directory shared addressbooks?

Henk van Velden henk.vanvelden at xs4all.nl
Tue Apr 30 13:54:07 BST 2013

Hello,

I am still trying to test if new Kontakt can fullfill the needs that were
fullfilled by old Kontakt.

I am now testing version 4.10 (on openSUSE 12.3).

We have several directories contaning vCard address files. By incident I
looked into one of them and found a file named WARNING_README.txt with
content:
Important Warning!!!
Don't create or copy vCards inside this folder manually, they are managed by
the Akonadi framework

Rather hidden in a place where users do not normaly look for something that
calls it self "important".

But what does this mean? "Manually" can point to many things, but on a
computer to change something in a directory/file, it allways needs some
program, some editor at least. But I am afraid that this means: "any other
program then the KDE version a particular user is running".

Can anybody confirm that this is true?
And can any body then confirm that it is thus true that using the same
directory as addressbook from a different sessions and/or a different vCard
managing programs and/or another system (the directory being NFS exported to
others systems on the LAN to be used by others) by users that may or may not
use KDE or KDE 4.10 is not allowed?

I hope sincerely that I am utterly wrong, because not being able to share our
common addressbooks in our LAN would throw us back to the pre-compter days
where each one had his own paper adressbook.

--
Met vriendelijke groet,
Henk van Velden