[kdepim-users] IMAP filtering (like pop filtering in kmail 1)

Xavier Brochard xavier at alternatif.org
Sun Sep 2 16:52:39 BST 2012

Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Sunday, 2012-09-02, Xavier Brochard wrote:
>> Is there a way to do some IMAP filtering, like it was for POP, i.e.
>> filtering before downloading email?
>> I'm looking for a way to not download all my emails when I'm force to use
>> another computer. Filtering on date, status, sender or subject would
>> help.
>>
>> And I can't use Sieve scripts, because a lot of hosting providers doesn't
>> allow it.
>
> I don't think there is any support for this form of client side filtering.
> Mostly because IMAP servers can have support for real server side
> filtering (sieve, as already mentioned by you)

Yes but in this case sieve can't do the job, because you want to decide if
message will be retrieved or not. It's the client job.
It would be possible to use sieve but with a complicated folders tree.

> and IMAP client only
> download full messages on request (i.e. usually only do download minimal
> data per message for listing).

So minimal datas could be used, even in online IMAP mode, to apply this sort
of filters and decide to retrieve or not the full message. Now that kmail
can be used on a variety of devices (desktop, netbook, phones and tablet), I
think it make sense. This approach would allow people to synchronize only
recent messages.

I've used Akonadi's cache to bypass this missing filter:
in online mode I download only recent message (by clicking on headers), then
disconnect network and read and reply.

BTW, I've tried to use kmail filters with "Age in days" filter criteria and
"Confirm delivery" action but it doesn't work.

regards
xavier