[kdepim-users] IMAP filtering (like pop filtering in kmail 1)

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Mon Sep 3 06:46:55 BST 2012

Xavier Brochard wrote:

> So minimal datas could be used, even in online IMAP mode, to apply this
> sort of filters and decide to retrieve or not the full message. Now that
> kmail can be used on a variety of devices (desktop, netbook, phones and
> tablet), I think it make sense. This approach would allow people to
> synchronize only recent messages.

KMail2 actually downloads only what is really needed for filtering (at least
in 4.9, but I guess that was the case also in 4.8.5). The  prolbem is in
this "what is really needed". Some information is available in th email's
Envelope, that is always downloaded for IMAP. Date, Subject, From. Some need
the full header (e.g List-Id). If something not available in the headers is
needed, the full mail is downloaded.
NOTE: right now all filters are taken into account, so even if you have a
filter for POP3 only requiring the body, the full body will be downloaded.
This is a bug I realized not so long ago.

In case you have only filters that do not require the full body and the full
body is still retrieved, you should file a bugreport that contains your
filters (akonad_mailfilter_agentrc) with any sensitive information changed
inside.

Andras