[kdepim-users] KMail forgets POP/SMTP password

Pastor JW pastor_jw at the-inner-circle.org
Mon Sep 3 19:40:14 BST 2012

On 09/01/2012 12:44 AM, O. Sinclair wrote:
> On 01/09/2012 00:06, Pastor JW wrote:

>> If it didn't corrupt other data files as well you are very lucky.  As I
>> mentioned earlier, we lost a lot of data which is much more important to
>> us than a mailer.  Because kmail, which we used fine for many years,
>> won't keep the passwords we had to abandon it.
>>
> without being an expert but a user of KDE /kubuntu since 7.04 version I
> can say this is unheard of. I have had to recreate my wallet once in all
> these years and how would that make me lose data? I frankly do not
> understand, perhaps you could describe what has happened? I am asking
> because I have never heard of anything like it in these 5 years of using
> KDE and kwallet.

We started with the 7.10 distro which was pre-installed on the Dell
laptops.  We upgraded it to KDE the day after they arrived and then to
the LTS when it came out a couple months later.  Kmail was used from the
start but we had to change over to T-bird now because of Kmail's lack of
keeping the passwords in 12.04.  By recovered the logs on two machines,
Kwallet was the cause of bad catastrophic crashes on several laptops
which in turn left a drive full of corrupted files.  At the time we
attempted to work with the Kwallet people to correct the problems but
were told, "don't use it then".  So we didn't and have had zero crashes
since.  However, for me, being forced to use a program in Linux really
is a wrong concept.  We use Ubuntu BECAUSE we can set our system up the
way it works best for us.