[kdepim-users] Please, help with kmail multiple errors

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Fri Sep 28 10:20:39 BST 2012

Leon Pollak wrote:

> Thank you, Andras.
> Please, can you be more specific - what exactly do you mean by "remove
> account"?
> I have the ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail folder with my mails upto about
> 10 years old. I do not want to loose this archive...

Settings->Configure KMail->Accounts, select the KMail Folders account and
click on Remove. This removes only the account from KMail/Akonadi, not the
files from the disk.

Then add a new Maildir or Mixed Maildir account, depending if your maildirs
are pure maildirs or they have also MBOX files inside. I suggest to use
Maildir if possible, as it has a simpler codebase, and using mixedmaildir
makes sense only if you mix maildir and mbox folders under one directory
structure.
Note: you have to adapt filters/identity settings after doing this.

If still fails, you can do a "clean" start.

Further reading:
http://userbase.kde.org/KMail/FAQs_Hints_and_Tips#Clean_start_after_a_failed_migration
https://blogs.kde.org/node/4503

Andras