[kdepim-users] What causes a subject to be visible only in the headers?

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Mon Oct 1 22:21:18 BST 2012

Anne Wilson wrote:

Hi,

> I have three messages that were moved by hand into a folder.  In the
> message list they show no subject.  One of them is completely blank no
> matter what you do - fortunately it wasn't too important, because it
> looks to be totally lost.  The other two show no subject or sender.
> They show today's date, which is totally wrong.  However, the preview
> pane displays both of them perfectly, including the original date in
> August.
>
> I don't suppose there is much we can do about this, but I do wonder
> what caused it.

Seems that somehow the metadata associated with the email got lost or
damaged. I can't say why it happened. Losing the body on copy was possible
until recently (a few days ago) IF the account from where you copied was
offline (local accounts, like a maildir folder can also be offline). The
header should have not been lost though.

If the problematic mails are in a maildir folder, locate them on the disk
and see their contents. Or even try to copy (on the disk, not in kmail) to
another maildir folder and later sync that folder in kmail. If the content
is not sensitive, you can even send the mail to me and I'll verify if it
looks ok or it is damaged.

Andras