[kdepim-users] Automatic Encryption problems

Ian Turner vectro at vectro.org
Mon Oct 1 00:52:06 BST 2012

Hello list,

Automatic encryption has never worked for me, but I gather there were some
changes to this feature in 4.9.1 so I decided to try and give it a go. It
didn't exactly work.

This is what I see:
1. Contact created. If I open the contact in Kaddressbook and browse to the
"Crypto Settings" tab, I see OpenPGP/MIME selected, the contact's public key
chosen, and "Message Preference" set to "Always Sign" / "Always Encrypt" (I
tried this with "Always Sign if Possible / Always Encrypt if Possible" but it
didn't seem to make any difference.

2.  If I send an e-mail to a contact thus configured and just send it, nothing
special happens -- the message is unencrypted and no special messages appear.

3. If I select to sign/encrypt the message, then I get a dialog box asking to
confirm the choice of encryption keys and asking for the encryption preference.
The preference is set to "<none>".

4. If I just click OK at the dialog from (3), I am asked for my password and
the message is sent encrypted and signed.

5. However, if I select "Always encrypt with this key", then I'm asked for a
name for a new contact. Entering a name here creates a contact with a bogus e-
mail address; for example, if the original contact was named Foo with an
address foo at example.com, such than the To: field of the message from (2) is
"Foo <foo at example.com>", and in response to the "what name shall the contact
have in your address book" dialog I enter "Bar", then the new contact has a
name "Bar" and an e-mail address "Foo <foo at example.com>". Trying to e-mail the
contact from kaddressbook does not work, but Kmail will happily autocomplete
the To: field to Bar <Foo <foo at example.com>>, which is obviously wrong. Trying
to actually send such a message gives a dialog which correctly notes that the
address has too many angle brackets.

Any thoughts on this welcome. Thanks,

--Ian